Thursday, July 23, 2009

Collecting the Wizard

I don't know of anyone who could give Ozzie Smith a run for his money as the greatest defensive shortstop of all time other than the comparable Omar Vizquel . As a life-long Cardinal fan, and one during the putrid early '90s, hope sprung eternal only because of one man, Ozzie Smith. When I starting making my own money after getting a summer job once I turned 13 I decided to collect who I deem to be the greatest shortstop ever, Ozzie Smith.

I don't know if this thing will be much more than a sounding board for my own thought on collecting the Wizard, but I'll create a want list soon and if anyone wants to do some trading I'd be down for that. I'd also be interested in straight up buying items as well.

My current goal is to pick up everything from 1978 to 1997. After '97 the hobby went to crap with short printing and serial numbered to 1 nonsense. The parallels of game used and game used autos and autos is asinine. Beyond that, Ozzie is not part of any mainstream set after 1997 that does not have a focus on retired players. Therefore if and when I complete my quest for everything before 1997 I'll see about the rest.

My blog reading of late has increased and I do wonder where my collection would stand today had I not wasted 7 years going to college and getting married. Regardless to complete my vision of what a proper Ozzie collection should be will require some time patience and good luck. There's some high dollar stuff out there that I need and some really hard to find stuff.

To the quest

1 comment:

  1. Hello fellow Ozzie collector. I can be reached at juggledv(at)aol.com
    Put Ozzie Smith in the title or I may overlook your e-mail.

    ReplyDelete